Saturday, August 14, 2021

An Afternoon at Harrington Beach

 It's been years since I've been to Harrington Beach State Park in Belgium. We used to go on Sundays as a kid and walk in to avoid paying the entrance. I wanted to explore the trails and stroll along the sand. So I made Ryan take me. He had a park pass. I did not.  

Lake Michigan has been rising so the beach has been gone for a few years but lake levels dropped so the beach came back this year. It was not overly warm out but it was a nice day. So many people were at the beach.

We did not bring beach blankets, toys, swimsuits, etc. I just wanted to walk on the sand. There is something soothing about running/walking barefoot on soft sand. We kept walking down the trail until we found a spot on the beach that wasn't too crowded. We chilled in the sand for a bit.







I even waded into the lake for the first time in many years, not counting walking back from Cana Island. The water was cold but it was nice to dip my toes in the water.



After some time at the beach, we headed down the North Beach trail towards the quarry. 



Along the trail was history about the ruins of the company town that was built in what is now Harrington Beach State Park. It was for the stone company that built the quarry. I did not know that and found it fascinating. 




Hopefully it wouldn't be years until I get back to Harrington Beach State Park. There are many more trails to explore. Even though it's not a big or well known State Park except for those that live in the area, it is definitely worth checking out. Just watch out for dead fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment