Monday, August 9, 2021

118. Go to Hannibal, MO

 I gave the hubby the option of Hannibal, MO or Grant's House in St. Louis on our way to Kansas City. I've been bugging him for a couple of trips to go to Hannibal. We ran out of time last trip to KC. He actually picked Hannibal over Grant's House. Personally I think it was to appease me so I would stop bugging him.

Hannibal is the boyhood home of Mark Twain. I really just wanted to see his home and maybe a big paddlewheel. 

We ended up getting a Groupon deal for Mark Twain's Boyhood Home and Museum Properties. I saved almost 50% on our admissions. Normally it is $11/adult and I got admission for both of us for $13.50. 

Mark Twain's Boyhood Home and Museum is 8 different properties around downtown Hannibal, all within walking distance. Most of them are within the same block. You start at the Interpretive Center where there is a small museum about Mark Twain.

Then you can tour Huckleberry Finn's House, Mark Twain Boyhood Home and Home Shop, Becky Thatcher House, The Justice of Peace Office, Grant's Drug Store, and Museum Gallery. It is all self-guided tours. 



The best part by far was the Museum Gallery where you get to see what life was like in the 1800s along the Mississippi. You can blow the steamship horn. We can raft like Tom and Huck. Then you go to the top floor and there are a dozen Norman Rockwell original paintings. Even the hubby was impressed. You never see a collection like that in one place.

I also planned on going to the Big River Train Town and Museum since the hubby likes train. It was the one museum, I didn't double check hours before we left. We walked to it from the Museum Gallery only to find out it was closed. 

I did get to see the Tom and Huck statue.

Instead of climbing all the stairs up to the lighthouse, we drove to the top. Then only had a short climb to the lighthouse. You can't go into the lighthouse but it does offer some nice views of the Mississippi. 





I never did get to see the giant paddlewheel. Maybe if we took a boat tour but there was no time. 

Some people spend several days in the Hannibal area. We spent a few hours. It was more than enough time for me. I'd go back and hit some of the attractions that weren't open on Mondays if ever given the opportunity but like Grandma says there is not a whole lot to do in Hannibal for days on end unless you are into nature, caving, and camping. 

Hannibal is worth checking out if you are ever in the area. It is full of literary history and history in general. Molly Brown, of the Titanic, was born there and you can visit her house. I was not disappointed. I was glad we stopped and now I can stop bugging the hubby.

No comments:

Post a Comment