Thursday, August 12, 2021

A Quick Bite to Eat at Canteen Lunch

 I told the hubby I know where we are stopping for lunch in Ottumwa and when I told him Canteen Lunch, he was like that was the place Ryzer was talking about. If Ryzer said it's good, it must be.

Canteen Lunch is literally a brick building in an alley. It is not much and there is limited seating inside. The menu is pretty limited -- loose meat sandwiches, chips, and pie. They literally cook the meat in a giant vat in the middle of the lunch counter. The waitresses take your order from behind the counter and they make your sandwich and drinks pretty quickly.

What is a loose meat sandwich? It's cooked ground beef on a bun with melted cheese brushed across the top with your usual burger fixings. Think sloppy joes without the sauce. Since I love eating ground beef after it's been cooked before adding it to the dish, this was perfect for me. And it was delicious.

This is definitely a hole in the wall type of place that is you definitely need to try if you ever find yourself in Ottumwa. The pie is really good or so I've been told. 

No comments:

Post a Comment