Thursday, August 12, 2021

2417. Go to the Mars Hill Church in Blooomfield

 When the hubby said I probably shouldn't drop him off by noon and get on the road, I had to find another quick roadside attraction on our way to Ottumwa. My bucket list said I wanted to go to Mars Hill Church and it was between the American Gothic House and Ottumwa. So I added it to the list.

What I didn't know was it was down another gravel road and since it rained, it was a muddy gravel road. I was so glad we didn't get my car wash when we left Davenport.

The Mars Hill Church is a wooden church that was part of the Underground Railroad. There is not much to see as you can't go in the church. It is only open once year in June for a meeting. 

I would have liked to have learned more about it's role in the Underground Railroad and maybe go inside. There is no marker or anything telling about the church or it's history. 

It was a unique stop but really not worth my time since I really didn't learn much. And the road going to it is not very fun either. Unless you are lucky enough to be in the area when it's open, it's not worth the mud and dust to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment