Saturday, October 9, 2021

Late Night Visit to the Traveling Vietnam Wall

 Scrolling through Facebook, I noticed that the traveling Vietnam Wall was going to be in Oshkosh for a few days. I mentioned this to the hubby and he was I'd like to see that. Now I had to figure out how to get there. It was arriving in Oshkosh on Wednesday, October 6th and leaving Sunday, October 10. I think it would be there all day on the 10th but it was leaving at noon. With the hubby's schedule we didn't really have an opportunity except for Saturday after the Brewers game if it wasn't too late. 

The Traveling Vietnam Wall was going to be at Sunnyview Expo Center and it was open 24 hours a day while there.  Since it wasn't too late after the game and dinner, we decided to check it out on way home. We got there about 10 PM. There were very few people there.

When I saw the Vietnam Traveling Wall in 1998, it was on the bluff in Port. I assumed it was going to be outside at the Expo as well. I was wrong, they actually had it set up inside the expo. They curved it around so it would fit inside the expo.

Even though it was late and I've seen both the traveling wall and the Vietnam Wal in DC, it was still a very somber experience. Just to see how many were killed in Vietnam during the 60s and 70s was quite moving. Neither the hubby nor I really knew any that was inscribed on the wall. We know a few people that fought but his grandpa and my dad were in the service between Korea and Vietnam so they saw no action. 


In addition to the wall, there were smaller markers for the Persian Gulf War and the War on Freedom. 

There was another one dedicated to 9/11.

I am glad American Legion and Veterans of Oshkosh helped bring the wall to the area. It is always worth going to see and paying respect to those that fought for our freedom. I wish it was outside. I didn't get the same feeling as I did when it's outside. It was to contained in the expo. Seeing it spread out from one side to the other makes a huge difference. The arch was great in the instance but the straight span seemed to have more meaning for me.

If you ever get the chance to check out the Traveling Vietnam Wall or the one in DC, please go. Remember those that fought for us even though you may not know anyone specifically. It is a honor to see it and thank those that help make it is possible to see.  

No comments:

Post a Comment