Saturday, October 23, 2021

5445. Go to the Shrine of Our Good Lady in New Franken

 I drive by the sign for the Shrine of Our Good Lady every time we go to Door County. I have wanted to stop many times but time never allow. When the hubby got a regional volleyball match in Door County, I figured stopping on our way to Sturgeon Bay would make sense. 

The Shrine of Our Good Lady is where the Virgin Mary appeared to Adele Brise saying if you help with the conversion of sinners, I will help you. This is what Adele. The families she helped gathered at the chapel to pray the rosary during the Great Peshtigo fire and pray to Mary to save them. The rains came and saved the chapel and grounds. 

The Shrine of Our Good Lady is a stop for many Catholics and church trips. Even at the end of October, there were many people milling about. 

My first stop was the chapel. Because there was a service going on, I did not go inside. I did not have much time to explore and did not want to interrupt what was going on to see the chapel. 


Then I wandered the grounds for a bit. I saw Adele's grave and the stations of the cross.



Finally I stepped into the Oratory where I could pray and be close to Mary. It was way too churchy (and quiet) for me. I did not spend too much down in the oratory. There were many people prayer and asking Mary for help.


I am glad I went and checked it out but it is definitely too church-y for me. This is for serious Catholics. It has a different feel than Holy Hill. Shrine of Our Good Lady is sacred and is meant for self-reflection and devotionals. It is not my cup of tea but don't let that stop you from checking it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment