Tuesday, September 15, 2015

A Gem of a Ball Diamond

The 13 year old Babe Ruth World Series was held in Jamestown, NY at Diethrick Park. It was a former minor league baseball park. At one point of time, it was the Expo’s Minor League team and there still an Expo Outfield sign hanging on the maintenance room.  The hubby wanted that sign.


The Expo Sign

The field was a typical old school baseball park with a big grandstand around the infield. The hubby said it reminded him of old Goodland Field in Appleton. There was a brick entrance way that was added later and you could still see where the locker rooms and things were under the grandstand.




The field itself was nice… a little deep for 13 year olds to hit home runs but a very nice facility. They really try to keep the park up especially since there is no minor league team just a Northwoods League type team.
Concessions were okay. Hot dogs, Burgers, and Italian Sausages were $2 but everything else was expensive. Soda/Water was $2-$3. I’m not sure what the nachos or ice cream was since I didn’t eat that. I just had a sandwich each day.

New York's version of an Italian Sausage 

Because of the cooperate sponsors, there was no admission charge on any day which allowed any one to come out to enjoy the games. And I didn’t have to worry about making sure I had my bracelet on and I could wander freely.



The one thing that struck me as unique was there was a soap box derby track right outside the park. From what I know of soap box derby, the hill wasn’t very steep unlike the larger hill that my niece races down in Green Bay. Maybe there are different types of hills?




There is a lot of history at Diethrick Park and hopefully there will be more history in years to come.  

No comments:

Post a Comment