Monday, September 7, 2015

#97 Visit Amish Country

After we left the Ohio State Reformatory, we started our 4 drive to South Bend, IN where we were planning on spending the night. While planning, I noticed it was about the same time to take US 30 through OH instead of the Tollway. That was a no-brainer. Ohio tolls are expensive. We planned on taking 30 all the way to South Bend. However, the GPS kept trying to get us back on the interstate. As we approached Fort Wayne, the hubby noticed 30 was going to take us farther south. Using Google Maps on my phone, I noticed if we took I-69 up to US 20 we could avoid tolls in Indiana as well and not head south. 

US 20 took us right through the heart of Indiana Amish Country. This made really happy since even though we were in Ohio Amish, we must have been in the northern fringes of it because there was very little Amish. There were a few signs for some stores but there were quite a ways off our route. We tried to stop at a bakery that wasn’t too far off the highway but it was closed on Mondays. 

Once we hit, HWY 20 it was clear we were in Amish Country. We passed buggies on the road. As we neared Shipshewana, the more prevalent the Amish became. There was one restaurant that an elderly Amish woman was getting out a buggy with a walker.  We probably should have had supper there. The food was probably very good home cooking. There’s always next time. 

This is one of those times, I’m glad we didn’t listen to the GPS or our alternative route. It is always an experience to drive through Amish Country. This is my first time driving through a heavy concentration of Amish. There’s pockets of Amish in Wisconsin, one of which we drove through on the way back from Eau Claire. This was much larger. I suggest if you are headed East (or West) and want a scenic drive, take US 20 through Indiana from South Bend to Fort Wayne or even US 30 in Ohio.   

Since the Amish do not want their pictures taken, I am not posting any other pictures that I took. I don't feel right doing so.  This one I feel is okay since there are no people in it.


No comments:

Post a Comment