Sunday, August 18, 2019

Feasting in Music City

Nashville is a foodie's paradise. There is all sorts of sorts of good eating in Nashville for all sorts of budgets. I wanted to eat near where were staying, sightseeing, or on the way downtown. Initially we were going to have pizza the first night in town at 5 Points Pizza but with the Titans in town we headed to Hendersonville for pizza instead. This is what we indulged in while visiting Music City.

Breakfast -- Five Daughter's Bakery

Because the hubby isn't a big breakfast eater and we wanted a good lunch, I figured hitting up one of the pancake places wasn't the best idea. Besides they weren't close to where we were staying. I decided donuts were a better idea. After googling, Five Daughter's Bakery was on our way downtown so it was the most logical choice.

Five Daughter's features donuts, cookies, and other yummy treats. They are known for 100 layer donuts. These donuts cost about $5 and take several days to make. They are well worth it. The hubby got the vanilla cream. I couldn't decide on the chocolate sprinkle one or the brownie one. Based on a recommendation I went with the brownie one. It was amazing. Even the hubby was impressed with them.




They have several locations in and around Nashville and Atlanta. I would definitely come back.

Lunch -- Johnny Cash's Kitchen & Saloon

Originally we were going to go Puckett's Grocery and Restaurant until I spied an ad for Johnny Cash's Kitchen and Restaurant that said was opening late spring. Well late spring came and went and the website kept telling me it was coming soon. 2 days before I was leaving to head to Alabama, I accidentally clicked on the bookmark and saw it was opened. I told the hubby I changed our lunch plans to Johnny Cash's Kitchen.



This was a good decision on my part. Johnny Cash's Kitchen and Saloon is right next to the Johnny Cash Museum was as we would had to walk several blocks in the heat to get to Puckett's.

Johnny Cash's Kitchen and Saloon is served cafeteria style. You pick up your tray and then tell them what you want to eat. However, there is none of that cafeteria taste. Everything is homemade and features traditional southern favorites.



For $14, you can get a meat and 2 sides. Meats include chicken, catfish, beef tips, hand carved roast beef, meatloaf, and turkey on Sundays. Sides include mac and cheese, fried okra, mashed potatoes, fried apples, greens, and baked potato casserole.

The hubby and I both got beef tips. We got them served over rice just like Johnny liked them. I figured only one side since rice is a side but we still got two sides plus homemade biscuits. You could cut them with a fork.. That's how tender they were.




Lunch was amazing even if I couldn't eat it all and I didn't have a way to bring home the leftovers. There was also live music while we were eating.. even at 12:30 in the afternoon.



Dessert -- Jeni's Ice Cream
Because we stuffed from lunch, we really didn't dinner. We did grab some nachos at the game but nothing substantial. On our way home from the game, the hubby wanted something to eat. I didn't want to McDonald's so a little bit of Google-mapping, I found Jeni's ice cream which was close to our Airbnb.



When the line is out the door, you know it is good. It is not a big shop but the wait is worth it. They have a wide range of flavors including dairy free, gluten-free or vegan flavors. There is truly something for everyone. You can taste any flavor you want with a real spoon.



I went with Mint Chocolate Chip and the hubby had orange blossom chiffon. There are trios available if you can't decide on just one flavor or if you are really hungry you can get a flight of 10 flavors.




I am glad we stumbled upon this place. Parking was a bit tricky but it was worth it. Even our Airbnb hosts told us we found a good place. They actually have locations in several major across the country. Not quite the local scene I thought it was but still very good.

We barely touched the tip of the culunary iceberg in Nashville. Hopefully we will be back again so we can try a few of the local favorites.. hot chicken and biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment