Saturday, August 17, 2019

374. See the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville

When the hubby decided we could spend two days in Nashville so we could see everything, I was like have to go to the Grand Ole Opry. What is even better it was going to be Saturday night at the Opry so it was the live radio show.



The Grand Ole Opry is the nation's longest running radio show. It's been on the air for over 90 years. It started at the Ryman Auditorium and then moved to the Grand Ole Opry house in the '60s (I believe). I was couldn't wait to go.

I won't lie buying tickets hurt. We spent over $200 on tickets and tour for the Opry, Ryman tour tickets, and parking. I supposed that is pretty cheap considering all we bought and the potential stars we might be seeing.

Unfortunately we saw no big stars of today. Carrie Underwood was there the night before for two shows. Our line up included stars of yesterday: Mike Snider, John Schneider, Jeannie Seely, and Connie Smith. There were no words to describe seeing some of these people on stage. I may have been disappointed with the line up but trust me it was still awesome.







Lillie Mae made her Opry debut and she was probably shaking in her boots. You could barely hear her.. I heard her back up singer more. I was not impressed. It felt like she was lip syncing.

I did find a new favorite group.. Old Crow Medicine Show. Think Alabama. It is a string band complete with a banjo and fiddle. Those boys wanted to make me get down and kick up my boots. I will see them in a show any day.



Fiddler Jesse McReynolds rounded out the line up. The man is over 90 and still playing fiddle at the Opry. He still has it. Connie and Old Crow Medicine Show played a number with him.



After a 90 minute show, we went a backstage tour. You can do the tour before or after the show. We opted to the post-show tour because of our schedule.

There were a lot of people that were there for the backstage tour. What they did was split the large group into small groups of about a dozen each with their own tour guide. Each group started at a different point backstage so there was no waiting around. It was actually very well done.

We saw each of the dressing rooms. Each star has their own dressing room named after or for famous Opry Family members. All stars making their Opry debut gets the same dressing. Each dressing room has it's own them. There are spread around the backstage area.






While we were on tour, Connie Smith walked out. Most of the stars were gone. A few were around but she was the only one that was close enough to us.



We also got to stand in the Circle.. the same circle they took from the Ryman. It is where all the stars stand while on stage at the Opry. I stood where Garth, Keith, Vince, Darius, Dolly, and many others stood.







We saw the green room where the stars and their guests relax before going on stage.




One of my favorite stops was the post office where all the fan mail goes. Each Opry member has their own mailbox.




Also all the Opry Members (220 or so) have their name on the wall. Darius Rucker touches his every show. Those are his fingerprints.




This was probably my favorite part of the entire trip (except maybe for surprising "Dad"). It can leave you speechless. I have the say though the benches aren't all that comfy but they are true to the Original Opry.

Even if you don't see a show at the Opry or not into Country Music, go and tour the Opry. It is a piece of history. I'd even recommend seeing a show if you can. They have shows either at the Opry or the Ryman just about every night of the week. I'm hoping next trip through Nashville we might be able to catch another show at either the Opry or Ryman.

No comments:

Post a Comment