Wednesday, August 14, 2019

A Visit to the Hank Williams Museum

When the hubby got his bid the 14 year old Babe Ruth World Series in Demopolis, AL, I started planning our trip back to Wisconsin. Since I flying into Montgomery, I searched for things to do in the capitol city that would interest the hubby. I stumbled upon the Hank Williams Museum. The reviews were okay. It was reasonably priced and it was right up the hubby's alley. Once I landed, this was our second stop after a quick picture of the Capitol building.

The Hank Williams Museum is located downtown Montgomery a few blocks away from the capitol. Street parking is available. Being the middle of the day, we ended up parking about a block away. It was $10 a person to get in. Considering what Nashville was going to cost, this wasn't too bad.



All the reviews I read said the same thing -- You can't take pictures in the museum. You can't even text or call while in the museum -- need to go to the lobby for that. They are a bit of stickler when it comes to that. So knowing that going it mentally prepared me not to take pictures when I'm a picture taking kind of girl.

The museum is actually quite impressive especially if you are a Hank Williams fan or old school county music fan. It's not large by any means. You get to see the car in which Hank died on his way to a concert. I seriously would have loved to take a picture of that. There actually is a lot of artifacts including music, boots, and suits.



Now to complete the Hank Williams experience, we could have checked out his grave and the Montgomery City Auditorium which was where is funeral was held. Unfortunately time was not on our side and we had to skip these. One day, I'm sure will be back (Montgomery is the home of the Biscuits baseball team, of course we will be back) and then I can see his grave.

The museum was worth the price admission even if I couldn't take any pictures. The hubby was impressed. If Hank Williams and old school country is your thing, this is definitely a place to visit. If not, it's still worth checking out if time allows.

No comments:

Post a Comment