Saturday, August 10, 2019

Checking out the Ag Buildings on Campus

When Stacy and I were planning our girl's weekend, Stacy found a walking tour of the ag buildings on the UW campus. Always up for a good walking tour, I penciled it in.


The tour started at 11 am at the Dean's house which is also home to the Allen Centennial Garden which I did not know. Stacy and I spent some time before the tour began exploring the gardens which are free. There are six distinct gardens along with a koi pond and a gravel garden. It was also shady which was a plus.






Our walking tour included nine different stops. I personally thought we were going to be talking about farming and cows the entire tour. It was actually an architectural tour of the agricultural buildings on campus and was put on by the Madison Historical Trust. The tour was $10 and well worth it.



Many of the original ag buildings were built in the 1800's and had a wide variety of architectural designs. I'd be lying if I told you I could actually remember what each of them were called.







I know the horse barn was done in a French Provincial Style.




Some of the buildings were more ornate than others. The library for instance had columns and a coat of arms.





When we got to the Stock Pavillon, we actually were able to go into this building. It was used as a horse breeding and show place when it was first built back in the 1800's... back when farming was still done with horses. Now it is a giant arena with seating for 2,000.





At the end of the walking tour, we were able to stop at Babcock Hall and have a dish of ice cream. Since Stacy has been here before, she showed me the viewing area of the production area which of course on a Saturday is not running. Yes, UW Madison does have a working dairy and you can buy the cheese and ice cream right in Babcock Hall. The ice cream was quite tasty and it was no small scoop either.






I would suggest any of the walking tours that Madison Historical Trust puts on if they are anything like the ag tour. It was worth the $10. Even if you are not into, the architecture alone on the ag tour is worth it. Sorry no cow sightings.

No comments:

Post a Comment