Sunday, July 30, 2023

23 in 2023: Try at least one new Restaurant: Riverside Pizza

 I was told by my bro that I had to try the new pizza place in Green Bay, Riverside Pizza. It has been voted the best pizza in the Upper Peninsula and now opened a location in Green Bay. I went to baseball with the hubby and then we decided to give Riverside Pizza a try.

Riverside Pizza is located on Oneida Street. They opened in the former Heartland Pizza building. They are open Wednesday-Monday 4-9. They do both dine in and carry out. We obviously dined in.



The dining room is an "L" shape and not very big. It is a mix of high top tables and regular tables most of them 4 spots with a few larger tables mixed in. There is a bar with about 8 stools which is mainly for carry outs. One thing I found odd was you don't see the kitchen unless you can get a peek as the door swings open. They are very quick to shut it. This is unusual for pizza places. They usually wants you to see them making pizza. It also did not smell like a pizza place. Maybe it was too new but there was no smell of tomato sauce or pizza baking. We only smelled a pizza as someone walked by with it.

The menu is very limited. It is pizza, a salad, or a hot dog. That's it. No appetizers, no dessert. Just pizza. Okay great. Simple menus are easier for the kitchen but come on, where is the garlic bread. You need garlic bread or cheese bread with pizza. Heck, I'll even take a few garlic knots. Something to enjoy while I wait for my pizza. 


We ordered a sausage and pepperoni pizza. The plates they give you are 6" paper plates. Good thing the pizza is cut into squares otherwise it would not fit on the plates. Plus they don't believe in silverware. Pizza should be eaten with your hands is their belief. I agree to an extent. The crust is fine but once you get into the middle of the pizza sometimes a fork is a necessity especially with the more toppings. 

To be honest, the pizza was lackluster. It was good but just boring. The hubby enjoyed it. I thought it was missing something. I'm not one for sauce but this sauce was boring. It had no oregano or other spices. Maybe they ran out...or maybe they just don't believe in flavor. I'm glad we got meat because otherwise it would have been flavorless. The meat helped with adding flavor. The crust was thin but not entirely crispy. It was a thin, chewy crust which kind of reminded me of Butch's in Kimberly but thicker. 

I think the hubby has turned me into a huge pizza snob and simple pizza no longer does it for me. If the hubby wants to go back, I'll go. It's not high on my list of favorite pizza places but it's not the worst pizza I've ever had. It's just boring and I like flavor. I'm not entirely surprised the hubby liked it because is a plain kind of guy.

If you like your pizza on the blander side or just looking for something new, try Riverside Pizza. I may not be overly crazy about it but I am a bit of a pizza snob. 

No comments:

Post a Comment