Saturday, July 1, 2023

5526. Go to J. Lauber's Ice Cream Parlor in East Troy

 I was told we needed to go to the ice cream parlor in East Troy that is across from the train depot when we visit the East Troy Railroad Museum. One never to pass up an opportunity for ice cream advised the hubby of this and he agreed.

J. Lauber's Ice Cream Parlor is literal across the tracks from the museum. They are currently open Thursday-Sunday. 

I was expecting a small ice cream shop where I would pick my flavor from a list and get a cone. I figured they might have a few sundaes too. If that's what you are looking for then J. Lauber's is not the place.

J. Lauber is an old fashion ice cream parlor. You grab a table or booth or maybe a stool at the counter. Then a server will hand you a menu of all their ice cream specialties. They will then come back to take your order and deliver your ice cream treats.


Debating between the Chester Allis Sundae or the Sheltering Oaks Sundae, I went with the Chester Allis because just in case I couldn't finish, it was a safe bet the hubby could finish it. It is a more of a float than a sundae but it will make people look. It takes vanilla ice cream and layers it with Green River syrup to give it a green and white layered look. Then it's top with whipped cream, Jimmies (sprinkles for those not from Southeast WI), and 2 Kopps wafer cookies. This is the only other place that I've found the wafer cookies, Kopps tops their custard dishes with. When it showed up, I was like I'm not going to eat it all. Don't worry I did. It was amazing.

The hubby got a butterscotch malt and said it was better than Mickey-Lu Bar-B-Q which is saying a lot since we thought they had the best butterscotch shakes and malts. He had plenty of malt as well. No skimpy portions here.

The store is cramped so no strollers. There are a lot of fascinating relics from old soda fountains on display. There is also an old fashion candy counter too.

J. Lauber's is definitely worth a visit to East Troy. It will bring you back in time. Just make sure you are hungry when you go there. It was our lunch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment