Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Exploring State Trails 2023 -- Ahnapee State Trail

 Most of my state trail excursions occur because I decided to go to baseball and needed a place to walk. Ahnapee State Trail is no different. I opted to go to Algoma with the hubby for Shoreland League Playoff game. Looking at the map, I could either walk to along the beach or walk part of the Ahnapee Trail. Due to fact I didn't have to cross busy streets, I chose the Ahnapee Trail.

The Ahnapee Trail is a 48 mile trail through Kewaunee County that follows the Ahnapee nd Kewaunee Rivers. It can take you to Algoma, Kewaunee, or Luxemburg. When Heather and I were at the World's Tallest Grandfather Clock, we saw the trail head in Kewaunee. 

I picked up the Ahnapee at the trailhead Perry and Mill Street which was about 4 blocks from the ball park. The trail is open year round and does not require a trail pass. Like most state trails it has a gravel base, limestone in this case. It is a pretty flat trail.

I ended up walking more of the trial than I planned on, I probably walked about a mile on the trail before turning around and heading back to the game. The initial part of the trail was not very clear and over grown with grass and weeds. It went past the lumber yard but once it got out of the industrial area, the path became more defined and peaceful.

At one point I could have taken a right and followed the Ice Age trail but kept going straight. This is probably where I should have turned around but I kept going for another 1/4 mile or so. I tend to forget, that everything I walk on the way there must be retraced on the way. 


There was not much to see. I could have used some bug spray even though the bugs weren't horrible. Again I made the mistake of walking in flip flops so I kept having to shake stones out of my feet. One of these times, I'm going to learn my lesson and grab the shoes. 


Overall it was a nice night for a walk. The trail was not busy at all. I did see a few people but not many. If you are ever find yourself near the Ahnapee Trail, take time to walk or bike. 

No comments:

Post a Comment