Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Bobbing in Omaha

I'm a sucker for weird and unique opportunities in case you couldn't tell. When I heard I could walk from Nebraska to Iowa, I was like add that to the list. However, I was pretty sure the hubby would be like um, I'll pass. I didn't completely write it off the list though thinking maybe there was still a way to do this.

The Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge is a 3,000 foot bridge spanning the Missouri River between Omaha, NE and Council Bluffs, IA. It is less than a mile and 2 miles round trip. Omaha has hammed up the bridge by calling it "bobbing" when you walk across the Bob Kerrey Bridge. There is a whole vlog devoted to Bob and bobbing in Omaha.



Because the Lewis and Clark Visitor Center and the NPS Midwest Regional Office is almost at the foot of the Bob, as the locals call it, I was able to get a few stamps in my NPS Passport and convince the hubby to take a stroll on the Bob. There are actually several look outs on the bridge with different educational plaques about the wildlife.




About 1/2 across or so is the Iowa/Nebraska state line. I am now able to say I stood in two states at one time. I made the hubby do it too even though he was less than thrilled. 



One day I would love to walk the entire length of the Bob but that requires either being with more willing partners in crime or a patient hubby while I take a 2 mile walk. It probably would help that it not be 90 degrees either. 

When in Omaha, do like the native and take a stroll on the Bob. Then go get ice cream at Ted and Wally's (which we did not) or a sandwich at Pickleman's (which we did). 

No comments:

Post a Comment