Wednesday, August 15, 2018

2350. Go to The Bob Feller Museum

While at Barnes and Nobles picking up a book for vacation, we picked up 101 Baseball Places to Visit Before You Strike Out. The hubby should me the book and without looking at the price, I said we needed it. The book was on my want list. As I was looking through the book, I discovered that the Bob Feller Museum is just outside of Des Moines and it’s on the bucket list. I added it to the list for vacation.

Bob Feller, originally from Van Meter, IA, was a major league pitcher for the Cleveland Indians mainly during the ‘40s and ‘50s. He has 3 no-hitters under his belt and is the only pitcher to throw an opening day no-hitter. Because he missed four seasons because of military service, he ended up with only 300 wins but could probably easily had 400 wins and 3,000 strike outs.

The Bob Feller Museum in Van Meter, IA is not big. It is in the village hall and consists of one room. I swear the IOC Hall of Fame was bigger until they condensed it. What it does contain is very interesting. There is some memorabilia from his American Legion Days, the days of Exhibition baseball, and his days in the Major Leagues.



Bob Feller was an amazing pitcher and the museum is dedicated to represent this. I learned a lot of about Bob Feller. I knew he was a baseball player before coming to the museum but while there I learned a lot of his career in the 4 showcases they have.
Baseball fans should check out the museum if ever passing through Des Moines but I wouldn’t go out of my way to visit it. It’s a great display of history to honor a local star but outside of Van Meter and the baseball world but very few people probably even heard of Bob Feller or Van Meter, IA for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment