Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Stadium Tour 2018: Werner Park

Once we figured out we were going to Kansas City, I had to start figuring out what minor league teams were home when we were going to be in the area. I was hoping to get a AAA Park since I've seen A, AA, and major league games. I really wanted to see an AAA game. Luck was on my side and the Omaha Storm chasers were in town. Omaha is only 2.5 hours from Kansas City and we were headed back north so it worked perfectly.

The Omaha Storm Chasers are the Royals AAA Team. They used to be the Omaha Royals when they played at Rosenblatt Stadium. When they were forced to build a new stadium, they got a name change too. Werner Park is about 7 years old and out in the middle of nowhere. There is a subdivision or two but it's mainly farmland. The way we came in, there wasn't really any signs telling us how to get to the ball park. We did see a sign on the highway though.





Werner Park is actually very nice. Like Kaufman Stadium there is a decent sized kid's area complete with a carousel. There was golf as well.




You can walk all the way around the stadium which is nice when you need to get your steps in.



The clubhouses are not attached to the dugouts so there is a walkway that places use to get to to the clubhouse. Because of this, there is an autograph alley where you can get players autographs as they walk to and from the clubhouse. It is also how they get the grounds crew equipment on the field.



It was Harry Potter night. We could pick our house we wanted to be in. I was Gryffindor and I gave the hubby Ravenclaw. I told him he couldn't be Slytherin. He just rolled his eyes at the whole thing. After each inning, depending on what plays were made, houses were awarded points. I am not sure what happened at the end of the game because we left early. Maybe we all got a prize or maybe it was just bragging rights.





It was also 50 cent snack night. Chips, Nachos, sodas, peanuts were all 50 cents. So for $2 we had a very nice snack. Too bad it was Pepsi (like most stadiums) but at least they offered lemonade.

The game itself was not very memorable. No heroics and anything that I can seem to recall. It was just a good night for baseball. As we were walking around a foul ball went into the concourse, I ran after it losing my flip flops but a kid beat me to it. He must have saw my bare feet and gave me the ball.



Like every other minor league, there were gimmicks and games between innings. I think the T-Rats were right a few years back "Come for the game. Stay for the fun." I would rather not have all the hoopla between innings but it is interesting to watch.



I would definitely go back to Werner Park if we are ever in the area. It's clean, easy to get to, and relatively cheap baseball. Besides what else there to do in Omaha??

No comments:

Post a Comment