Saturday, September 23, 2023

5464. Tour the Carmex Factory in Franklin

 When I saw that the Carmex factory was part of Doors Open, I made sure that was on the top of my list. The Carmex Factory has been on the bucket list for a while and I thought it would be cool to tour.

I'll be honest, I was disappointed to find out that you don't get to tour the factory or even the warehouse. Your get inside the warehouse to see this giant pipe organ. That is not what I had in mind when I wanted to the tour the Carmex Factory. 

The pipe organ is the world's largest theater organ. Okay so now I have seen the World's Tallest Grandfather Clock and the World's Largest Theater Organ this year. I guess all is not lost. 

The theater organ was built specifically for Carma Laboratories Distribution Center. It is a very versatile instrument that can play various musical forms.

The largest pipe is over 30 feet tall while the smallest pipe is about the size of pencil. The pipes can sound like other wind instruments such as a flute or trumpet. 


There are also cymbals, xylophone, piano, bongos, and many other percussion instruments.


The shear size of this organ was amazing. It covered several sides of the building and of varying heights. Just to hear all the different sounds was unique. You didn't think by pressing a few medals or buttons on an organ you could get all the different sounds.

Okay, I did see part of the warehouse. It looks like any other warehouse. I also go some Carmex. So I guess it was worth it.

The next time Carmex is open for Doors Open to see the organ, Go. See. The. Organ. It is truly magnificent and worth the drive down to Franklin. It was actually a good starting place for Doors Open.

No comments:

Post a Comment