Saturday, September 23, 2023

5391. Find Gertie the Duck on Wisconsin Avenue in Milwaukee

 When planning our Doors Open Weekend, I gave Stacy a few other things I wanted to see in Milwaukee. Easy stuff that would not require any time at all, mainly photo ops. 

One of them was the Gertie the Duck sculpture. This statue honored Gertie the Duck who laid her nest on a piling in the Milwaukee River in 1945. A local newspaper man wrote a daily column about Gertie and her clutch of eggs. The column went viral and visitors from all over came to Milwaukee the spring and summer of 1945 to see Gertie and her ducklings. 

The city erected the sculpture of Gertie and her ducklings in 1997. The sculptures were created by Gwendolyn Gillen. The sculptures are located on the Wisconsin Ave Bridge. 

There are 5 other duck sculptures through out the Milwaukee Riverwalk as well. I did not find them all but I did find Millie. If I knew there were other ducks, I would definitely would have tried to find them all. There's always the next adventure.

I encourage you to go stroll the Riverwalk, find Gertie, and learn her history. Maybe you will find all the other duck too. You must just have to wait a bit if the bridge is up.



No comments:

Post a Comment