Thursday, April 23, 2020

Quarantine Adventures -- A chat with Karen Slaughter

Browsing Facebook, since I had nothing better to do, I discovered an author event that sounded interesting. It was hosted by the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library Foundation and the program was called "Final Draught: Home Edition -- at Home with Karen Slaughter." I barely heard of Karen Slaughter. I figured I had nothing better to do and could tune in.

Karen writes popular medical thrillers and is published in over 100 countries. I'm not sure how I missed hearing about her.  Her latest book, The Silent Wife, doesn't come out until July. It was really exciting to get a sneak peek of her book. The book is a continuation of The Last Widow but I was told I don't have to read the previous books to understand what is going on the book.



The Facebook Live event was very interesting. Karen talked about her writing process and the research involved into writing medical thrillers. She talks about the input she gets but she is very careful about it because she doesn't want to exploitative about the more sensitive topics such as domestic violence.

I really loved learning about Karen and her books. Her books have been added to my to read list but with all the author events I'm finding on Facebook my to read list has grown quickly. It will be years before I get to all of them.

I will keep an eye on the Charlotte Mecklenburg library Facebook page to see what other authors they are hosting. Since authors aren't touring they are doing a lot of Facebook live events with libraries and bookstores. It is a great way to meet new authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment