Thursday, April 16, 2020

20 in 2020 -- Make a new recipe -- Enchiladas

My mom and grandma both get Our Wisconsin magazine. Grandma gives us her copy when she is done with it. I read it and the hubby may read it. Then it sits on a pile on our coffee table for a few months til I get sick of the pile and weed out the old issues. Every issue includes a couple of recipes by readers. The hubby was going through the stack earlier this month and found a few recipes he thought sounded good. One was for enchiladas. So I bought the ingredients and put it them in the dinner rotation.

I'm more of a taco than an enchilada/burrito kind of person but the hubby prefers burritos/enchiladas. I've tried a couple of burrito recipes but the hubby wasn't overly fond of them. I was willing to try this one.



The recipe itself is pretty simple and can be made from simple pantry ingredients... chicken or turkey, cream of mushroom soup, salsa, sour cream, cheese, flour tortillas. I have a feeling the recipe was created to use up leftover turkey from Thanksgiving.

Basic instructions
1. Mix meat, sour cream, taco seasoning, half the can of soup, cheese, onion, salsa, and olives together in a bowl.


2. Spoon filling into tortillas and roll up and place seam side down in 9x13 pan.



3. Then combine the rest of the soup, sour cream and taco seasoning. Pour over enchiladas.



4. Bake for 25 minutes.
5. Sprinkles with the rest of the cheese and bake for 5 more minutes.


I only made half the recipe each night. I mixed the entire filling and topping but only cooked half the tortillas the first night. I figured they won't reheat all that well.

They were pretty tasty. We used picante instead of salsa so it had more pepper and tomato chunks than the hubby liked. The sauce was a bit much with the all that sour cream according to the hubby. That might be because we split it into two nights.

The recipe definitely needs tweaking for our tastes but it was good for the first try. It might become a keeper if I can figure out the whole sauce thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment