Wednesday, August 17, 2016

#1859. Go to the Dr. Seuss National Memorial Sculpture Garden in Springfield

When I learned the hubby was going to Westfield, MA for the Babe Ruth World Series, I started checking the bucket list for things in the area I could cross off. The two items that I REALLY wanted to see were the Dr. Seuss Sculpture Garden in Springfield and Eric Carle’s Museum of Picture Book Art in Amherst. The hubby wasn’t exactly thrilled with either one. However when I told that the Dr. Seuss Sculpture Garden was only 7 blocks from the hotel and free, he agreed to take me.



The Dr. Seuss Sculpture Garden is located in the Springfield Museum Complex kind of hidden away behind the museum. They are building an entire Dr. Seuss Museum. That will be added to the bucket list when it is done.

The sculpture garden wasn’t exactly what I was expecting. It was a lot smaller than I expected with only about xxx statues plus 2 outside the garden. The entire garden was roped off so you couldn’t get up close to take pictures next to the statues. I’m sure this was to prevent people from climbing them.



Some of the statues were larger than others. Oh the Places You Will Go was the largest piece there. Green Eggs and Ham and The Lorax were tiny in comparison. I really liked the Dr. Seuss with the Cat in the Hat statue. That was probably my favorite.








Even though it is small, it is definitely worth the stop. I overheard a parent from one of the teams saying they checked it out too. Even if you are not big on Dr. Seuss, check out the gardens. There is more than just Dr. Seuss sculptures. There are also flower gardens to enjoy. Plus it is a nice spot to sit and relax. I just wish the hubby didn’t sit in the car so I could have better selfies.



No comments:

Post a Comment