Monday, June 1, 2020

Quarantine Adventures: Carroll U Alum Cooking Demo

Within the last couple of years, I have started noticing alumni events in different areas in my Carroll e-newsletter. I thought about doing a couple but always decided against it. This year prior to the pandemic, Patrick and I joined Carroll for a Brewers spring training game in Phoenix. Since the pandemic started, they have taken these events virtual.

They have started a book club at like 10 in the morning. Hello.. working people here. They have also done some musical performances and fitness classes. The one the piqued my interest was a cooking demo. I can always use new recipes. I signed up and received my Zoom link. The world we live in now.. meetings and events with people all over the country and world by a computer screen. I can't even imagine how we would have coped if this pandemic happened 20 or even 10 years ago... and I digress.

The Pandemic Pantry Cooking demo was hosted by Kate Peterson of Kate Peterson Nutrition LLC. We went sent an email with the recipe ahead of time so if we wanted to follow along or make it again in the future we were able to. We were making a stir fry and cauliflower fried rice recipe.



Kate walked us through making both the stir fry and fried rice. She talked about substitution for the cauliflower rice. It was all very easy. Kate was great at explaining how to make both dishes and answered all of our questions.

Since we were such a small group, Derek the moderator and alumni office employee, asked what we were made during the pandemic so far. And of course when it was my turn, my audio on my laptop didn't work. So I had to quickly join the meeting via my phone while I was in the midst of making our own dinner. I told them about the garlic knots. They were impressed it was 2 ingredients. Those are the best thing ever.

Being able to connect to other people that you have a connection to however small is a wonderful thing during this crazy time. Thank goodness for technology.

I will keep looking for more alumni events either virtually or in person once this is all over. I do have a cheese tasting coming up at the end of the month. I can't wait for that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment