Saturday, February 10, 2024

5034. Walk the new walking bridge in Appleton

 Back in 2020, Appleton opened a new walking bridge across the Fox Cities from Lawe Street. I said I wanted to do walk this bridge for 4 years. It has been on my 21 in 2021 list, 22 in 2022, and 23 in 2023 lists. I am very good at procrastinating apparently. 

My other "issue" was I wasn't show where to park. I really didn't want to walk the entire Fox Trot Trail just to get to it. I wasn't entirely comfortable parking at Stone Arch and walking to it which I shouldn't be. I think Grandma fear of dark and creepy places is starting to wear off on me. I also couldn't figure out on Google maps, where it ended so I couldn't park on the other end. It turns out there is parking by the trail head. Who knew??

Since it was a relatively nice day for February, I dragged Heather with me on my adventure. We left our cars at Stone Arch, the last stop on Death By Chocolate. We picked up the Newbery Trail right across from Stone Arch and took that to Lawe Street. Then we followed the Fox Trot Trail north on Lawe Street until we got to the walking bridge. We stopped and got a few pictures of Metamorphosis sculpture.


The Lawe Street Trestle Trail crosses the Fox River. It is 575 feet long so less than 1/8 of mile. It will bring you out to the apartments down by the Banta Bowl. You can opt to turn around and go back the same way you came or continue following the trail back to John Street and back down South River St. We started out following the trail but decided to turn back since we weren't really sure how far we would walk if it followed it the entire way. Our legs and ears were getting cold.






It is a lovely walk. We did not see any eagles but there were some duck. I'm sure when everything is all leafed out for the year or in the fall it would be really pretty. 



Go explore this trail or one of the many other trials in the area. There are many trials I still need to explore including Nelson Family Crossings between Little Chute and Kaukauna. I think there is another new trial/bridge in Appleton that I need to check out too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment