Saturday, May 13, 2023

Wooden Nail Making

 While Andrea and I were at the Sheboygan Historical Museum, we wandered into the hands-on room as I like to call it. In there they had various stations set up to explore pioneer living. One of them was wooden nail making to show how people used wooden nails to build houses and other wooden goods.

To make a wooden nail, you used this wooden vise contraption to shave off strips of wooden to make a rounded peg versus a stake.

It was a bit scary to drag this sharp plane towards you as you shaped the piece of wood. You didn't want to pull to hard otherwise you would take off too much but you wanted some force to actually take off a layer of wood. It was an exact science I did not master.



By the time I was done mine still have a very stake like look to it. However, it did fit in the hole like it was supposed to. I guess that was a win.


I am keeping it in case I run into any vampires... or is that a silver stake? I can never remember.

I learned that woodworking, piano player, and even beer chugging is not really my forte during this Sheboygan adventure. The things I randomly will try and not succeed at. Who knows what the next Sheboygan adventure will lead to??

No comments:

Post a Comment