Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Baseball Stadium Tour 2018: Wrigley Field

The hubby wanted to go back to Wrigley Field after they updated it to see how it changed and make it an official visit. However I really had no ambition to go back to Wrigley and hang out with Cub Fans. Besides I really hate the el -- the platform scares me. I guess if I wanted to have the Wrigley Field check in on my app, I had to suck it up and deal with Cub Fans and scary el Platforms.



The Brewers were playing the Cubs at Wrigley on a Wednesday night. Because both teams are in the hunt for October, we figured we'd see a good game. We wantethd to get really good seats down the first base line but the Cubs and Illinois wanted to tack on over $40 in fees. I swear there was a fee just because we were Brewer fans. So we got seats down the left field line in the former bullpen area.

I got out of work early and we headed down to Chicago. We parked and picked up the train at Jarvis. We barely had a two block walk to the station. The train was relatively empty as we go towards Wrigley -- getting there 3 hours before game time might have had something to do it.

We checked out Wrigleyview for the first time. Being not much of one to enjoy the bar scene, we just kind of wandered into a few stores and then stumbled upon the highlight of the Wrigleyview, in my opinion -- Wrigleyview Station 78.





We turned the corner and I was like we are going there.We snapped a few pictures outside of the station when one of the fire fighters invited us in and told us to look around. The engine was in for repairs but it was still really cool to see a Chicago Fire House.





Wrigley Field is really unchanged. Yes the bullpens are no longer on the field and they added some electronic sign boards but it's still Wrigley -- few restrooms and the concessions still under the stands. And if you get there early enough, food is cheaper. We both had really good steak sandwiches.

We got there in time for Brewers batting practice. How often do you get to see the Brewers take practice or even any team any more? It was amazing. We stood in the left field corner and tried to get a ball that was hit in the corner. I am not happy with Hader at the moment, he'd rather give a ball the annoying Cubs munchkins instead of a Brewer Fan. I'm not bitter or anything... I still believe my ball got lost in the ivy anyways.







The game was really good. Our seats were amazing. The Brewers won. We spent a lot of time standing in the later innings to be able to see. The game really did have a play off atmosphere.








The ride back on the el was something else. Two or three southbound trains came and went before a northbound train showed up. And the train was packed even before it got to the station.We actually managed to snag a seat and by the time we got to Jarvis it was rather empty.

When the Cubs start losing again and they decide not to tax the heck of us Wisconsinites, I may actually get over my fear of the el and head back to Wrigley Field. However until then I will be more than happy to stay away from Wrigleyview.

No comments:

Post a Comment