Saturday, September 26, 2015

#3814. Go to Weis Earth Science Museum in Menasha

A few weeks ago, I saw some a post on Facebook about FreeMuseum Day. I like Museums. I REALLY like free. I checked it out. The Smithsonian was offering a Free Museum Day to select museums across the country. The only “catch” was you had to request tickets and only 1 pass good for 2 people per email address. There were several in the area that were part of the Free Museum Day. As much as I wanted to go to the Maritime Museum in Manitowoc, I didn’t want to drive to Manitowoc. I settled on the Weis EarthScience Museum in Menasha.

I really should have driven to Manitowoc instead. I’m glad that it was free to visit. I am not sure it’s worth the $3 admission. The Weis Earth Science is part of UW-Fox Valley and is not that big. The size of a museum doesn’t bother me. If the museum is interesting and hands-on, the size doesn’t matter. This museum is geared more towards school groups learning about Earth Science who need to find specific answers. As an adult checking out the museum for fun, I was bored.

Meteors

Sandstone

I met Danielle and Gavin there. For a 4 year old, there weren’t a lot of hands-on activities. There were probably about 5 hands-on displays and some of them weren’t very hands on.  Most of the museum consisted of rocks with descriptions and pictures on the wall to read. When I go to a museum, especially a science museum, I want to look at things and touch things. I don’t want to read about everything on display.

There were a couple of things I did find interesting. I liked to jump up and down and cause an earthquake. Gavin wasn’t all into causing an earthquake probably because he was too short to see the screen.

The fossil rubbings were cool even if I did get chalk all over myself. Perhaps I will hang my woolly mammoth in the bathroom.


The dinosaur skeleton was pretty neat. I almost got close enough to get my head bit off.


The mine was lame. It was like walking through the wall. I didn’t get the feeling I was in a lead mine at all. I know this isn’t the Science and Industry Museum but it could have been a bit more realistic. Even the mine wasn’t very realistic but the old mine cart was cool.

The Mine


Gavin liked learning about the water cycle… and blowing things up in the mine. The microscope was a hit for him as well.

I give UW-Fox Valley kudos for having a place to share their Collections and educate others about Earth Science. If I was teaching up here and had an Earth Science unit, I’d look into a field trip to the museum. I am glad I checked it out but I probably won’t go back unless they have a really cool exhibit.


No comments:

Post a Comment