Friday, August 18, 2023

5280. Go to Cold Country Winery in Kewaunee

 When meeting up with the girls, I wanted to make sure we hit at least two wineries before we had to go our separate ways. I gave them the choice of Duck Creek Winery in Denmark, Trout Springs in Greenleaf (which was really out of the way), or Cold Country Vines and Wines in Kewaunee. Surprisingly they picked Cold Country Winery. It was a winery I didn't know about until I was playing on Googlemaps.

Cold Country Vines and Wines is located about 13 miles southwest of downtown Kewaunee almost in Tisch Mills. It is almost in the middle of nowhere.  It is open daily 10-5 except Sundays which is 12-5. 

Their tastings are a little different. You can taste as many wines as you would like. It's $1 per 1 oz pour except for ice wines which s $4 for a 1 oz pour. They give you your first pour and then filled the rest of your pours on a tasting flight. We opted to sit outside and enjoy our wine. There was some seating at the wine bar or in a separate room.

I'll be honest not many of the wines caught my eye. There were a lot of red wines (11 reds plus 2 ports) which I am not a huge fan of. This is compared to 6 white wines and 2 rose wines.  There were also 4 ice wines.

I sampled: 

Briauna -- a semi-sweet white with hints of peach and pineapple. It was not overly sweet. It was a nice summer wine but did not wow me. 

Pink Snowflake -- a semi-sweet rose that said it was sweet yet tart. I was not a fan. The fruit flavors of strawberry and pineapple was not a combination that I found pleasing. 

Northern Lights -- Again I picked a wine based on the name. This time it was a sweet red. It was just okay. Nothing special and I probably should have tried the Red Sunset that had more hints of fruit to it.

Frontenac Gris -- a fruity, sweet ice wine. This was probably my favorite of the four and it was one of the better ice wines I had. It was not overly sweet and had the right hint of fruit.

My cousin also let me try Itasca, a semi-dry fruity white, and Petite Pearl, a medium dry rose. I did enjoy the Itasca which was surprising since it was a semi-dry. I tend to stick to sweeter wines. Maybe my palate is evolving.

We enjoyed each other's company and the nice weather but none of the wowed us enough to buy. I liked to be able sit outside and talk while we tasted wine but I'm not sure I'd visit again. 

I would still check it out if you are looking for a winery while in the area. It is cute and there is a vineyard you can check out. Maybe we just picked the wrong wines or our burgers from lunch at Millie's distorted our taste buds. It is definitely a cute winery off the beaten path.

No comments:

Post a Comment