Saturday, August 5, 2023

5430. Go down the giant slide at the State Fair

 When our original plans got scrapped due to unforeseen circumstances, girls weekend turned into how many fairs and festivals can I cram into one weekend. Since the Wisconsin State Fair was going on, Stacy and I headed over to West Allis for a few hours.

Wisconsin State Fair is 11 days of animals, shows, and rides at State Fair Park in West Allis every August. Tickets were $17/person if bought online or $18 at the gate. Parking was either free if you were limited to a few hours on the street or in people's yards for a fee. There is also parking at State Fair parking. We took our chances and parked on the street with a 2 hour limit. We decided to risk a ticket instead of paying to park mainly because we didn't have cash.

We had about 2 hours to enjoy the fair and honestly that was the perfect amount of time unless you are going to see a show or spend a fortune at the Midway. 

Our first major stop was The DNR building which included a nice outdoor walking path and Smokey's School about Wild Fire safety. 








The one thing I wanted to do was go down the giant slide. It costs $4 per ride (Cash only) and you have to be 48" to ride by yourself. Since H was not quite 48", I rode with her. Halfway up the staircase, I looked at her and I told her I was scared. She said she wasn't. I guess if the 5 year old isn't scared, the 43 year can't be either. To be honest, I was more worried about H flying off my lap than me sliding down the slide. We both made it down safely. I would totally do it again.


We checked out some of the animals. Since I didn't have future farmers with me today, we didn't have to check out every barn. We did see the cows as I ran to some friends whose daughter was showing some cows. I had to find her cows.



We did check out the one exhibit hall which was had A/C. The cakes, flowers and quilts were impressive. 






No state fair is complete without some tasty treats. I tried the cotton candy lemonade. Despite turning everything blue, it was not as sickly sweet as I feared. The cotton candy did not dissolve into the lemonade though.

Wisconsin State Fair Cream Puffs are legendary. We checked out the cream puff building and watched them make cream puffs. We bought some to bring home for everyone to share. 

It was a great few hours at the fair. The weather was perfect. Like the county fair, I wasn't to the state fair in probably 20 years so it was nice to go again. Nothing really changes. The buildings may get updated but it's still food, rides, shows, and animals. Maybe next time I'll try the pickle donut.

No comments:

Post a Comment