Monday, July 15, 2024

5389. Hit all the wineries on the Door County Wine Trail -- Anchored Roots

 It doesn't surprise me that Door County has a wine trail. The Door is full of wineries. I decided I want to go to them all. I have already been to several: Door Peninsula, Harbor Ridge, Simon Creek, and Von Stiehl. Now it's time to visit the other 6. I told my cousins for either an early or belated 45 birthday celebration, I wanted to hit all the wineries in Door County that I've not yet been to. Since they didn't go this year, it will have to be a belated 45 celebration. This gives a whole year to knock off a couple more.

The first winery that I decided to visit was one I never heard of. My cousin asked if I got up to Door County, if I would stop and get them a bottle of wine at Anchored Roots. I did know such a winery existed. I even asked Andrea who never heard of it. It is a newer winery just outside of Egg Harbor. It was founded in 2020. They are open 11-5 Wednesday-Monday. 


I wasn't planning on doing a tasting at Anchored Roots. I literally went in for a bottle. While I was waiting, I found out if I bought a bottle the tasting is free. I wasn't driving so it was a great plan. Free wine for buying a bottle. Tastings are normally $10 for 5 tastes. You can also get flights. 

They have 14 different wines to pick from on a laminated sheet. I had a tough time deciding on 5 wines because there were not a lot of fruity wines. It was definitely of a more developed palate type winery. I still love my fruit wines.  


I tried

2020 Rose -- which is dry rose. I don't mind rose but this one was definitely on the drier side. I'm still a sweet wine girl. It wasn't bad but not my favorite.

2023 The Ledge Rose -- This was an off-dry rose. It was better than the straight rose but still too dry for me.

2022 Riesling -- This was a bonus sample since the guy accidentally poured it for me. I wasn't complaining. Free wine is free wine. This actually turned out to be my favorite. It was nice and refreshing. I was tempted to get a bottle but not sure if anyone else would like it.

2023 Frontenac Gris -- This was a fruiter white wine with hints of pineapple and fruit cocktail. I got hints of the fruit but definitely too tropical for me. I am seriously picky of what wines I like lately.



2023 La Crescent -- This one is another semi-sweet white with hints of orange. I definitely got hints of orange. It was alright but not a huge fan.

2022 Petite Pearl -- This was a dry red with hints of blackberry. By the time I got here, I could remember what I was tasting anymore. Everything blended together. It didn't really stand out.

I did pick up my cousins' bottle of Chardonnay. They do have some pretty bottles.



I was not a huge fan of the place but I have a simple wine palate. Maybe it will grow on me one day or maybe Basil has turned me into a fruit wine snob. If your wine palate is more sophisticated, this is definitely a place for you. I would definitely check it out either way as they are a nice winery and you can sit outside and enjoy a glass or flight. Definitely not a pretentious place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment