Monday, July 15, 2024

5351. Climb Old Baldy at Whitefish Dunes State Park in Sturgeon Bay

InfoSoup Library System is doing another library road trip this year. Instead of going crazy like we did last year, I really only wanted to hit the Door County Libraries. Mainly I just wanted an excuse to visit Door County. I brought this up with Heather and she agreed to tag along. I suggested a few adventures and when State Parks are involved, she is game. 

I wanted to climb Old Baldy. This is not the hubby's cup of tea so I figured Heather would be up for the adventure. Old Baldy is a sand dune located in Whitefish Dunes State Park. I only briefly crossed into Whitefish Dunes when we were at Cave Point once since they butt up against each other. Since it's a state park, it does require an entrance fee. I went online and bought a day pass for $8. This would get us in any of the State Parks in Door County except Peninsula since their day fee is $10 and wasn't sure if I could use it at the other parks. Some of the area libraries had daily state park passes too. I figured $8 was a good deal. 



After checking out the visitor center and spraying ourselves with bug spray, we headed to the red trail. The red trail is a 1.2 mile out and back trail (so 2.4 miles round trip). This is the main trail that leads you to Old Baldy. There is also a parking lot up near the yellow trail that would be a shorter walk but you had to read maps and all that fun stuff. Since it wasn't too hot in the park, we decided to just do the red trail. 


Unlike the trail at Indiana Dunes State Park to do the 3 Dune Challenge, the red trail is a fairly easy trail. There is very little elevation gain and it is gravel, wood chips, or dirt. It definitely was doable and you are not walking on hot sand.


You do not actually climb Old Baldy. It walk up a series of stairs to the top of the dune. This is so much easier than actually climb up a sand dune. I was still slightly huffing and puffing when I got to the top but no where near the strenuous workout I was expecting. 




The views from the top aren't bad. You are not quite about the tree tops so you don't get a clear view of Lake Michigan from all directions but it still a nice view. We stayed on top for a few minutes before climbing back and down heading back to our car.






Along the trail are wild raspberries. They weren't quite ripe enough to eat. I was tempted but we were about a week or so too early. Oh well. Maybe next time.

I definitely would like to go back to Whitefish Dunes State Park and explore other trails or even to climb Old Baldy again. It is quieter than Peninsula Park and the trails don't seem as difficult. It is a more of a meandering through the sandy woods kind of park since it's right on Lake Michigan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment