Thursday, July 18, 2024

Let's Go Wine Tasting -- Wild Hills Winery

 Besides Taliesin, my cousins wanted to go wine tasting. I am always up for wine tasting. I gave them a list of wineries near Taliesin and let them decide which one we would visit. They tossed around the idea of heading down towards New Glarus but decided it wasn't really worth it. They opted to visit Wild Hills Winery.

Wild Hills Winery is in Muscoda, which is literally in the middle of nowhere. Even it has a Muscoda address, it is in the boonsticks. Wild Hills is a fitting name as you need to take hilly, curvy roads to get there. I think we were in Richland County not Iowa or Grant Counties. It is all very rural and hard to determine which county you are actually in. The winery is open Thursday-Sunday starting at noon. 

Since they tout on being an Agri-Tourism business, the winery is in an old barn. They have 17 different wines to taste. You can taste 6 wines for $7 or get a flight for $14. We opted for the tasting. We were the only people in the small winery. 



I choose

Driftless Sunset -- A Semi-Sweet Orange wine. It definitely had orange under tones. I wasn't overly impressed.

La Crosse -- A semi-Sweet White with notes of pear. This one wasn't bad. It was probably one of my favorites of the day.

Wild Meadow White -- A sweet tropical white. It was definitely too tropical for me

Apple Cranberry -- This one wasn't too bad either. Cranberry was the bigger flavor.

Apple Blackcurrant -- This wasn't bad. If I had to pick, I would go with the apple cranberry.

Wild Irish Girl -- I think this is the one we all tried which we saved to the end. It was bad but it was definitely too sweet for my cousins.

None of the wines wowed us enough to bring home. Our wine cabinets are overflowing with wine so we need to be selective on what we buy until we start knocking off some of what we each have. 

Even though it is it the boonsticks and the roads are an adventure, this is probably one of the few wineries in the area. If you find yourself at Taliesin or the House on the Rock, take a detour and check out Wild Hills Winery if you have the time. It is worth a stop for some good wine and chocolates. 

No comments:

Post a Comment