Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Wine Tasting in the Desert

Since I've started to drink more wine, I decided I want to try to visit a winery in every state. Yes, I've been to many states but the hubby isn't quite fond of this latest endeavor so this one is easier said than done. Needless to say, I decided we were going to a winery in Arizona. A winery in the desert.. actually it turns out Arizona has several winery regions including the Verde Valley Wine Trail but none of them were really near Phoenix.

A random Google search for wineries in the Phoenix area lead me to Down Time Wines in Chandler. Like most of the wineries I end up visiting, I pick it based off the name and the wines available. Because there were many fruit flavored wines on the list, I knew this was my kind of winery.

Okay calling Down Time Wine a winery is a stretch.. it's literally in a strip mall between a hair salon and massage place. Don't let that deter you. Basil actual makes all the wines right in back of the store. The owners, Basil and Colleen, are very friendly and are ready to talk about any wine they make.

The hubby didn't want to taste especially since he was driving. For $10, I got to sample 6 wines and got a wine glass to keep. I thought the website said the tasting was free but I wasn't about to argue. Trust me it was worth the $10. I initially selected Blackberry Merlot, Raspberry White Zinfandel, Peach Chardonnay, Toasted Caramel, Winemaker Trio, and their Moscato. Because they nearly sold out of everything at Christmas, the blackberry was still "cooking" and was not available so I went with the Black Cherry Pinot Noir which the hubby said we were taking home without even trying it.



They were all very good except I was not a big fan of Moscato wine. I'm used a sweeter Moscato and theirs was a tinge on the dry side. Surprisingly the Toasted Caramel was very smooth and would make a fabulous dessert wine. Their peach is hands down better than Door County's Peach.

Not only did I get my 6 samples, I also ended up trying their Sangria, the Coffee Wine, and the Green Apple Gewurztraminer. I probably could have sampled the entire selection if I wanted to. Basil kept asking what I liked. I was impressed by the Sangria wine especially since I don't care for Sangria much. The same with the Coffee Wine -- I'm not a coffee drinker but it was almost like tiramisu in a cup.

I limited myself to three bottles of wine to bring home before we even got there. We ended up bringing home a Black Cherry, a Peach, and a Green Apple. I would have gotten the black berry and raspberry if I wasn't limiting myself. The best part... they ship to Wisconsin... And the wines are reasonable at $12, $14, or $16 a bottle.



The hubby loved being able to chat with the owners and get to know them and their winery. I loved the variety of wines they offered. They may not be a big operation but their wines are certainly going to go places. This will be a regular stop on our future spring training trips.

No comments:

Post a Comment