Tuesday, July 5, 2016

The Firecracker and Fireworks

Because I’m crazy, I signed up for a 5K on the 4th of July at 8 AM after spending the evening before at baseball and fireworks in Mayville. Oh and packet pick up ends at 7 AM. As much as I love doing the Firecracker in Kaukauna, they really need to let you pick up your packet after 7 AM because I don’t want to sit around for over an hour before the race starts especially when I could get an extra hour of sleep and be well rested for the race.


The nice thing about sitting around before the Firecracker is that there is entertainment. The Badger Marching Band is there, Bucky Badger is walking around, and you can even watch the little kids’ race around the parking lot.




Around 7:40 there are skydivers that carry in the Fox Cities Triathlon Flag, American POW/MIA Flag, and the American Flag. I missed most of the event last year because I was too busy trying to get ready for the race since I missed the memo of packet pick up only goes to 7 AM. The skydivers are amazing. They stagger their lands so each flag lands separately with the skydiver with the American Flag landing last. The Badger band was supposed to catch it but missed grabbing it.



Then it was race time. Tanya did really well. I started out on pace to beat my personal best but finished 42:18. Because of the construction the course changed, there were fewer hills but also few people with hoses and extra water than last year. We were told the route go back to the old route next year. Oh joy. I hate hills.



After the race, while we enjoyed our apple pie and chocolate milk, the Badger Band played. It was a very relaxed performance. Jayden and I colored in his dinosaur coloring book for a while too. Then it was time to go home and shower (and take a nap).






Since it was the 4th of July, the day wasn’t complete without fireworks. Like usual we went down to Neenah, parked at the lighthouse, and watched the fireworks. If we turned around we could see Menasha’s too.











It was a long day… good thing we didn’t do much in the middle. If I do the Firecracker again, I will make sure that we aren’t in Mayville the night before. It makes for a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment