Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Dining With Craxi: Doing the whole Food Truck Thing

Food trucks are the new trend in eating out. I used to think of greasy, slimy characters as the owners of food trucks in major cities where if you don’t want to live to see tomorrow, you’d grab your last meal from them. Now we have gourmet food trucks that offer a wide variety of foods from the traditional burgers and fries to sushi. I decided I wanted to jump on the food truck bandwagon this summer even though the thought of them still kind of scares me.



The Fox Valley offers a Food Truck Rally at a couple different locations during the summer. I went once to the one in Pierce Park in late May by myself. I had fantastic pulled pork and mac and cheese. However, I wanted to experience the food truck rally with someone. It was no fun going by yourself when there were couples, families and friends all over the place.



I bugged Danielle to go with me to the one at Jefferson Park in Menasha. It wasn’t overly hot and there was a nice breeze. She brought the family with. I wasn’t overly impressed with the selection of food trucks. They all kind of had the same theme… sandwiches and chili. One truck had pizza, one truck that is normally down at the Farmer’s market had sausage rolls, another had cupcakes but many were some sort of sandwich and/or burgers.






I settled on a prime rib sandwich from Inferno Subs for $7. It was good. The meat was very tender but in my opinion it was only worth $6. Maybe the onions and mushrooms that I didn’t want would make it worth $7.
Danielle ended up first getting a raspberry lemonade cupcake. The frosting tasted just like lemonade. I hemmed and hawed about getting a cupcake.  I looked over the list cupcakes and decided that there wasn’t anything that really called my name. As we were sitting and talking, I kept thinking about those cupcakes. I ended up getting Triple Chocolate.  It was good but I probably should have went with something a little more exotic if I’m spending $3 on a cupcake. It definitely beat the $2 donut.

My Prime Steak Sandwich

After eating her cupcake, Danielle decided she wanted mac and cheese. She ended up getting a hot dog covered with mac and cheese. She said it was really good. I’m sure it would be too if I ate the mac and cheese first and then ate the hot dog like she did. However it is still a bit weird. Someone had a mac and cheese sandwich and that actually looked pretty good.

Mac and Cheese Hot Dog


Overall, it was a good time. I would definitely keep going back to them. I'm not sure if I could convince the hubby to come with me but I know Danielle is usually up for a good food truck rally.

No comments:

Post a Comment