Thursday, January 8, 2015

#6199 Join a Book Club

Right now I should be at the Neenah Public Library for the monthly cookbook club meeting. I was looking forward to this one as the theme this month is International Inspirations. However, Mother Nature had other ideas and I decided not to venture out in the snow, wind, and cold.

The Neenah Library Cookbook Club meets every 2nd Thursday of the month. Each month has a different theme. You are supposed to check out a cookbook about the theme and try several different recipes. You can make something to share as well.

I was talked into going by a coworker who went to the first meeting. She happened to see my collection of cookbooks and said one would be perfect for the October meeting.  So I took my Cupcake cookbook and went. I really enjoyed it.  I did not make anything. There were plenty of samples.
A cookies 'n creme cupcake and a RumChata cupcake.

November's theme was Fall Flavors. Initially I found this theme difficult because I tend to use Pinterest for all my recipes. I did manage to find a cookbook that had a few apple recipes that might be interesting to try. In the end, I chose to try an apple dowdy. The dowdy wasn't as good as the one the hubs was used to and a lot more time consuming. I also tried several apple recipes from Pinterest including one for Caramel Apple Muffins. The muffins were delicious and everyone at the cookbook club agreed. I definitely will be making those again.
Caramel Apple Muffins

December's theme was Holiday Treats. This one was very easy. Stacy and I do cookie baking every year. We use the Electric Company cookbooks. I even found a new recipe in this year's edition. 

Like I mentioned before this month's theme is International Inspirations. I wanted to find an easy appetizer or dessert recipe for this month's meeting. Over Christmas I went to the library and checked out 5 international cookbooks. I found several recipes in them I wanted to try either for the cookbook club or for dinner. If the weather cooperated, I would have made Cheese Straws from the Betty Crocker's New International Cookbook. However, I took it as a sign when I ran to Walmart to pick up puff pastry yesterday and they were out of them that I wasn't suppose to go to tonight's meeting. 

My thoughts on the cookbooks I picked up this month:
Cooking With Italian Grandmothers by Jessica Theroux.  This is the one I was most excited to look it since the hubs loves his Italian food. I did not find any recipes that I would want to try. There were a lot of fish recipes, very few actual pasta recipes, and not too many desserts either. 

Sweet Mandarin Cookbook by Helen & Lisa Tse. I will be honest; I only picked this one up for the fortune cookie recipe. I never got around to looking at any of the recipes in the cookbook. The fortune cookie recipe does sound easy and I may copy it down to make one day.

Fiesta at Rick's by Rick Bayless. This cookbook featuring Mexican cuisine actually had several recipes I wouldn't mind trying including one for creamy chicken and greens with roasted poblano and caremalized onion as well as one for coconut candies. I don't think I will write either one down but if I need something in the future, I know these recipes exist.

Betty Crocker's New International Cookbook. I surprise by the variety of recipes in this cookbook so much that I wouldn't mind having a copy of the cookbook myself. Besides the cheese straws recipe, there are recipes for Hungarian chicken dish, a chicken dumpling dish and homemade ravioli that we would be willing to try. I also found a recipe for Crumpets which will be perfect for my tea party later this year.

I also checked out Swedish Cakes and Cookies translated by Melody Favish. There hasn't been time to look over this one before the cookbook club. Hopefully I will get a chance to peruse it before it is due. 

There are a variety of ages at the cookbook club from the young to the very old. Some go all out while others are there just for the conversation. Over the last few months, I have tried new things including grapefruit ginger sorbet. I learned some new tricks like using a melon baller to scope out the middle of cupcakes to fill them. It is always a good time and does make me sad that I had to miss this month but I look forward to some comfort food in February.

1 comment: