Saturday, January 24, 2015

#3640 -- Go to Heckrodt Wetland Preserve

We live near two nature centers -- 1000 Islands Environmental Center in Kaukauna and Heckrodt Wetland Preserve in Menasha. I drive by Heckrodt all the time and never had the time to stop. Today, they were forecasting rather unseasonably warm temperatures and cloudy skies. I decided it would be a good day to go on a hike on my way back from my friend's Jewelry in Candles party.

Heckrodt is smaller than 1000 Islands with only a few trails. It has a lot of boardwalks instead of just trails through the woods. If I'm going hiking, I want to hike and not just walk on boardwalks. I understand the need for the boardwalks, I am just not a big fan. I would rather tromp through the woods. The boardwalks do get slippery with the melting slush and I nearly slipped several times even in my boots.

The highlight of my hike was seeing two deer feeding right near the nature center. They were the only wildlife I really saw. Those two deer must been the same ones we saw last on the way home from basketball.

Heckrodt is nice for a short little hike. They have clearly marked trails and plenty of benches to view wildlife. I will go back again when the opportunity arises but if I want to do real hiking I will stick to 1000 Islands.








I think next time I go when there is a bit more snow on the ground and then again in the early days of spring when everything is fresh and new. Fall would be another great time to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment