Thursday, August 6, 2026

26 in 2026 -- Visit a new winery: Bayfield Winery and Blue Ox Cider

 Trying to hit a winery in as many states in the US and counties in WI as I can, I was grateful to see there was a winery in Bayfield. I added it to the travel plans.

Bayfield Winery and Blue Ox Cider is located north of Bayfield off of Hwy 13. It is open 11-6 everyday May-September. October it is open 11-6 Tuesday-Sundays. March it is only open on Saturdays. April they are open Saturdays and Sundays. They are closed in winter. Who can blame them? There is a small parking lot.

You get 4 tastes for $10 ($13 if you want the glass) and that is a mix of their wines or ciders. I was most excited to try the apple. I am still on the look out for a good apple wine. I opted for 3 wines and a cider.

Stockton - Frontenac:  I picked it because it had hints of cherry and blackberry. This one was too dry for me. It might have been better chilled. I weird. I like my reds chilled. 

Autumn Crisp: It was a decent apple. It had a mild wine taste. I was similar to Basil's wines in Arizona. This one came home with us. 

Cherry: It was good. It did have more of a wine taste but still not bad. I contemplated buying this one too but I have my standard cherry bounce that I like. 

Lakeside Cider: It fell flat. It was, like most of their ciders, semi-dry (or dry). It was too dry for me. The only semi-sweet one was a ginger cider and that just did not sound appetizing. 

The hubby is definitely not a wine tasting kind of guy. He was amused that the winery was in house and you entered into the foyer/living room. This did not even register with me since I'm used to unique locations for a winery. 

If you are up in Bayfield definitely check out Bayfield Winery and Blue Ox Cider. There is something for everyone. If you are a lightweight like me, make sure you eat before hand otherwise the wine will make you loopy quick. 

No comments:

Post a Comment