Tuesday, August 4, 2026

6548. Dip my toes in all the Great Lakes -- Lake Huron

 I want to dip my toes in all the Great Lakes. I realized I could accomplish thee of them on this trip to the U.P. I didn't realize I could do it in one day. I dipped my toes into Lake Superior in the morning at the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum.. we found a rest stop with a view of the Mighty Mac and easy access to Lake Michigan. That just left Lake Huron and I knew where I could do this.

In my planning, I saw American Legion Memorial Park was not that far from our hotel and had a beach. Last night after we checked out the Wawatam Lighthouse, I made sure that it was too far to walk to with the hubby. He confirmed it was too far for him to walk. So we planned on driving over to it today.

American Legion Memorial Park in St. Ignace has a rocky beach along the shores of Lake Huron along with pavilions, a playground, and picnic tables. 

I did not realize the beach was rocky. I was expecting a sand beach like back home. The rocky beach made it slightly painful to get to the water in bare feet.

Let me tell you, Lake Huron was FREEZING! It was as cold as I would have expected Lake Superior to be. I'm glad I only dipped my toes in. 

There were some swimmers doing laps in the open water.

A few kids playing in the waves.

I was satisfied with just dipping my toes in and then going to sit and watch the waves crash every time the ferry came in. 



I wonder when and I will get to dip my toes in Lake Ontario and Lake Erie. 


No comments:

Post a Comment