Saturday, May 25, 2024

Unexpected Find -- Center Valley Grade School

 The hubby and I had errands to run by the mall before we could head to Twigs in Shawano. I would have plugged Twigs in my GPS and let it guide me from the mall area. The hubby played "what's down this road." Okay so he knew where he was the whole time but for me it was just a lot of random turns to get us where we needed to be. I am usually up for the back roads since I like a good adventure especially when we have nothing better to do. You never know what you are going to see. This trip was no different. We stumbled upon an old one room school house.

Center Valley Grade School is at the corner of Hampie and Center Valley Roads in the town of Center. Neither of us knew this existed but we glad to make a quick stop to take some pictures.

Center Valley Grade School was one of seven one-room schools serving the town of Center. This makes sense schools were typically 4 miles apart. It was built in 1887 and was used until 1958 when it was sold.



It eventually fell into disrepair but a group of former students and local citizens purchased it and restored it. It is is now a museum open my appointment only. I have not found a number or email to contact to visit it but I will keep searching. It would be neat to see the inside and learn more about the history.

There is also the two outhouses -- one for girls and one for boys. 

Some of the playground equipment is there as well. I like the old metal slide. I probably would have gone down it if there wasn't a neighbor outside and it didn't look so rusty.



The original pump was also still standing.'



I love playing down this road with the hubby. He always knows the interesting routes. Sometimes there is nothing to see but other times we have an unexpected find. Hopefully we will have more random adventures this summer and fall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment