Monday, December 5, 2022

7472. Make a Christmas wreath

 For the last couple of years, Kimberly Library has put on a wreath making workshop. The first year they did this, they charged for. Last year it was free and for whatever reason I didn't sign up probably because I was in the midst of AEP at work. I made a vow that if they were going to do it again this year, I would make sure I signed up in time and I did.

We were sent an email to bring pruning shears, a needle nose pliers, and a wire cutter if we had them. I have a needle nose pliers in the tool bin. Mom let me borrow their pruning shears because who needs them in December in Wisconsin. The wire cutters I figured I could share. I was amazed that they would let me play with sharp objects. To be honest, I really didn't need the wire cutters as the needle nose pliers worked fine to snip the wire.

When I got to the library, I was greeted with a pile of pine branches and a wire wreath frame.


Ken, the Master Gardner that was helping out, was very helpful. He first instructed us to prune our branches about the length of our forearm. We wanted a pile of branches about 2 feet high. I got to snipping. Some of my branches were rather thick or they were really thin. I didn't pick the best table. Oh well. I would make it work.

After we all had our piles of trimmed branches, Ken showed us how to attached them to the wire frame. Gather a bunch of branches about the width of your index and thumb. Trim the ends so they are all even. Lay them on the frame and wrap wire around the branches three times and pull tight. You want to pull extra tight on the first go set so they don't come loose and wreck the entire wreath.

Continue laying bunches of pine branches an top of each other about an inch down from the previous bunch. 

Repeat until your wreath is full and you have no more room to stick any more branches. Then tie it off with the help of Ken. Add a hanging hook on the back.

Trim the inside so you have a hole and the outside if you want to make it nice and uniform.

Add some pizzazz. I went with a more traditional look and added just a glittery bow and balls. I kept it simple. It was going outside and I didn't want too much objects on it.

Take it home and hang on the door.



Ken and his group of volunteers were wonderfully helpful. There was always someone available for help. Making the wreath was a whole less complicated than I feared. I would do it again next year. Heck, I could go find my own branches in the Northwoods and metal frame and wire and I could do it without help.. well maybe. It does tend to get a bit messy with all those pine needles and sap.

No comments:

Post a Comment