Saturday, July 24, 2021

4973. Walk the De Pere Riverwalk & Wildlife Viewing Pier

 De Pere has a nice river walk along the Fox River and Voyageurs Park. According to the De Pere website "The De Pere Riverwalk & Wildlife Viewing Pier has you covered - whether its enjoying sunset views of the Fox River; walking along beautiful stretches of wild flowers; taking in a bit of local history with an up-close look at the Locktenders House; or observing a wide-variety of wildlife, including pelicans, wallaye, sturgeon, bald eagles and countless other fish and bird species."

I knew there was a river walk there but never really explored it. Then Natalie had her graduation party in Voyageurs Park and I decided I needed to go for a walk. I figured I'd just walk the path and see where it takes me. 



I came across the De Pere Lock. I knew the Fox River lock system was back in use. I wasn't expecting to see one in De Pere. As I walked out to the end of the river walk, I noticed a person near the lock. Turns out he was operating the lock as a pontoon boat was about to go through the lock. That was very cool to see. It does take awhile to go to through lock.





 After watching for a bit, I continued on my way back to the party.

I also the originally lockmaster house. I did know if I could go in so I didn't really try.

I got a nice view of the De Pere dam.


It is a nice path full of water views and wild flowers. You can fish off the pier or just enjoy the scenery. It is a nice relaxing walk along with a quiet spot to sit and watch the world go by.


I definitely want to walk it again. It is free and open all year round. And it's COVID friendly. Get out and enjoy nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment