Thursday, February 4, 2021

6537. Make milkshakes

 Trying to come up with things to put on your Christmas list is always a challenge. I've had a milkshake maker on my Amazon wish list for years. Since I didn't know what else to put on our combine list, I brought the idea up to the hubby. I showed him a picture and he said okay. I don't think he really expected to me to put it on the list or to actually get one. 

We got a Hamilton Beach Classic Drink Maker from my parents for Christmas. It is about $40 on Amazon and comes with the metal mixing cup. Now we just needed ice cream. Besides the cup, everything else is plastic which is kind of disappointing.

After purchasing some vanilla ice cream for the hubby, we decided to make milkshakes one night. The hubby was in charge of making them. It was essentially 3 or so scoops of ice cream, some milk, and splash of vanilla. 

The Classic Drink Maker worked very well for his vanilla shake. He got the consistency he liked (runny) by moving the mixing cup around as it mixed. 

My chocolate brownie shake turned out pretty good as well. The mixing head doesn't break up the chunks of brownie very well so they sink to the bottom of the glass. I ended up spooning that out since my metal straws didn't suck them up either. 

The next time we had shakes, I had a Dr. Pepper Cherry Shake. Instead of using milk, I used Cherry Dr. Pepper and added Maraschino cherries as well. It was AMAZING. The only thing I would do different would be either to chop up the cherries into tiny pieces so they get sucked up in the straw or just use the cherry juice in addition to the Dr. Pepper. The hubby was skeptical but once I told him I loved it, he wasn't so skeptical about my creation.

I also tried to do a mint shake but the hubby put way too much milk in it and it was literally thicker milk and had no mint taste whatsoever. I did not have mint extract in the house so that probably didn't help. Next time I will try it with the mint extraction and less milk.

We do need to get some actual old fashion milk shake glasses. The coke glass and pint glasses we've been using work in a pinch but the taller milkshake glasses would make them even better.

The milkshake maker has become a very useful gift. I don't know why I didn't ask for it sooner. It saves us a trip to Culvers or DQ just for a shake when the hubby wants one and nothing beats a good homemade shake with real ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment