Saturday, February 15, 2020

Titletown Winter Games

For the second year, US Venture and the Titletown District has come together to put on Titletown Winter Games. It is a chance for people to try winter sports they might not normally try. It's a two day free family event. Last year the weather was not very nice. This year I really wanted to try the luge.



Danielle and I headed to Green Bay. I was worried about parking and what not but we parked right in the Titletown lot and it was a short walk to the Winter Games. After signing my life away, I got my ticket to play. Danielle was just along to document everything.

The games included luge, curling, ice skating, figure skating, cross country skiing with the biathlon option, and ski jumping. I really wanted to try the luge, biathlon, and maybe ski jump.

We headed to the luge run which was being done on Arian's Hill. They were awarding prizes to the fastest times each day. In order to qualify you actually had to make it down the hill without crashing. Yeah, me and the walls were friends. I made it no father than half way down on either run. I decided that luge is not for me.





We skipped the curling since I've already had tried that once and like luge, it wasn't the sport for me. I really didn't need to ice skate. I might have been able to handle trying curling again since it was a smaller area and not full curling sheet but I decided to stay off the ice.

Next up was cross country skiing. I did this once back in high school. I figured this should be a piece of cake. After getting my skis on, I head out to do a loop around the football field. 50 feet later, I'm on my butt. I continuously landed on my butt every 50-100 feet. Apparently my balance isn't the greatest anymore (or maybe the ruts were causing me issues). Finally half way through, I got frustrated I attempted to take off my skis and walk back. I couldn't even get the dang things off but I successfully managed to take off the top strap of one of the skis. Just by doing this, I managed not to fall any more.







By this time, I'm cold and snow covered. I am no longer having fun. Snow down my pants is cold.



We skipped the biathlon only because the line was long. They used lasers instead of bullets. So I might have been safe. Ski jumping was out of the question since I probably would not land on my feet and end up on my butt in the snow again.The ski jump was only like two or three feet off the ground.

The Winter Games is a great idea. It gets people out and trying new activities. If you don't want to participate there were plenty of restaurants to visit as well as ice sculptures and music.







I probably won't go again only because I'm not all that keen on falling in the snow anymore.  I would definitely suggest checking it out in the future especially if you have kids. They would have a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment