Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Paczkis in Phoenix

Paczkis on Fat Tuesday have become a tradition in our house the last couple of years. I would order a dozen from Smurawa's in Pulaski and the hubby would run up to get them. This year I discovered we would be in Arizona for Fat Tuesday and I wouldn't be getting my paczki fix.

On a whim, I googled Polish bakery in Phoenix and discovered Jana's bakery was a short drive from our Air B&B. Their flavor list wasn't as impressive as Smurawa's but they had custard and raspberry which was good enough for me. I placed my order a week before a little concerned when they only wanted my first name.

Jana's Bakery is a Polish bakery in the middle of a Mexican neighborhood. It was almost surreal that this Polish bakery popped up next to Mexican restaurants in a traditional southwest style building. The building and parking lot aren't that big. However, that really didn't matter because the baked good looked amazing.

For 9 AM on Fat Tuesday, there were only one or two people in line in front of us. There were several pre-orders and a case full of paczkis. And did they look good. I picked up our 6 that I ordered and asked for 3 more since my dad was like I'm not going to get one. I figured I'd surprised them when we stopped by my uncles after the game today to pick up some boxes to lug home (the joys of driving cross country)



The Paczkis were amazing. They were slightly different than the ones in Pulaski but in a good way. They had a different dough and were covered in a powdered sugar on the custard and a glaze on the raspberry . They were also heavier (and slightly more dense) than those we were used to. However, I would be back here in a heartbeat for paczkis and other treats.



No matter what state we are in next Fat Tuesday, you can guarantee I will find a way to get a paczki.

No comments:

Post a Comment