Sunday, November 25, 2018

Making Swizzle Stix

I saw that the Bergstrom-Mahler Museum of Glass was having an Art Activity Day where you could make your own stir sticks. I made sure I was at the library on the first to try to snag a FAN pass so I could make them for free. I did get my FAN Pass and Heather was going to make them with me.

The museum must have figured out a way to do these Art Activity Days without having too many people in the room at a time to keep it manageable. They give you a ticket with a time slot on it and that's when you show up and make your craft. Because we go there at 10, we got the 10 AM time slot and headed downstairs to make our swizzle sticks.

Basically we decorated clear sticks of glass with glass rods, beads, and glitter. W. e were to leave the middle open to give the sticks a more rounded stir stick look. This is AFTER I already made my candy cane looking one. So I followed directions on the other 3... I made a Wisconsin one, a Mickey Mouse looking one, and one that was supposed to be Christmasy and ended up looking like the Food Dude's Logo. Heather also filled her middles in to give it more color.



We left our unfired projects at the museum and let the experts do their job (aka fire our creations to fuse the glass into one). Two weeks later, I picked up our swizzle stix and am very happy with the results... even my candy cane one looks awesome. I just wish I filled in the middle more.




I can't wait to use my new swizzle sticks. I might have to throw a hot chocolate party or serve hot chocolate for the cookie exchange. I didn't think ever needed swizzle stix because we don't make mixed drinks ever but they are very pretty to look at and might just come in handy one day.

I love that the Bergstrom-Mahler Museum has these Art Activity Days and that the Appleton Library has FAN Passes allowing me to create cool glass creations for free. I can't wait to find another project that I want to make and hopefully I will get a chance to make one. Don't worry, I try to not to get a FAN Pass every month so others can have the chance to make to participate in the Art Activity Days or other fun Art Events in the area.


No comments:

Post a Comment