Friday, November 23, 2018

A Little Wine Tasting for My Birthday

The hubby and I spent my Black Friday which happened to be my birthday with my parents and cousins. After some shopping in the morning, we headed back to my parents house to relax. Since it was early in the afternoon, I figured we had time to hit a winery in Port since my cousins love their wine.

Now I knew there was a winery in Port Washington, Vines to Cellar, but I did not realize it has been there for 10 years. It is a small winery in downtown Port. Since it was like 10 minutes from my parents, I figured we'd check it out.

O.M.G. I found my favorite new winery.. okay at least that is a bit closer than Downtime Wines. Their fruit wines are amazing. Not only do they sell full bottles but they also have half bottles which my cousins loved since they were easier to travel back to Kansas City with.

For a small fee, we each had a wine flight of 5 different wines. They have a huge selection of wines and I had a really hard time to decide which five I wanted to taste especially since there were many fruit wines that sounded amazing.



After some contemplation I went with:

Sunset Sunrise -- a white moscato. I am not one for white moscatos usually but this one was very good. It was sweet yet dry and there were no bubbles. Even my cousins liked this one. It is definitely one I would pick up for a party.



Jammin Blackberry Cab -- a blackberry Cabernet. This is very smooth blackberry. The hubby and I love blackberry wines so this was coming home with us.

Cherry Bounce -- a cherry pinot noir. This is my absolute favorite that I tasted. It literally tasted like cherry juice. A bottle came home with us. We are probably coming back to get it for Christmas.



Just Peachy -- a peach apricot chardonnay. Another tasty one. I will pick this one up the next time I'm in town. It is definitely a good summery wine.



Frosty Jo -- Riesling Ice wine. I am not much for ice wine. This one wasn't bad. However, if I was going to bring home an ice wine from here it would definitely be the Alyssa Ice which is a Cabernet Franc Ice Wine. This one was so much smoother, especially with chocolate.



Pomegranate Zing -- a pomegranate Zinfandel. This is surprisingly one of their best sellers. It wasn't bad. I'm not big on pomegranate but I can see why it is a big seller.

Other fruit wine flavors include pear/kiwi, pineapple, blueberry, green apple, and strawberry. Either have to go back and do another wine tasting (I do have another BOGO that's good til the end of the year) or blindly take home some of the more "exotic" fruit wines. I blindly took home the black raspberry wine. I figured I couldn't go wrong with that one.

I will warn you that it does smell like winery and very earthy. It just makes me thing of wine fermenting and that's a good thing. Oh and there is a very friendly dog that is there to greet you.

My cousin wasn't overly impressed with the reds and brought home fruit wines instead. Considering this winery is so close to mom and dad's, I'm surprised we didn't find it sooner. We will be back and it is easy for us to pick up some bottles for my cousins. I can't wait to go back and get more wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment