Saturday, August 12, 2017

4325. Go to the Circus World Museum in Baraboo

I've always wanted to go to Circus World Museum in Baraboo. Part of this is because I've never been there and partially because it is the CIRCUS... clowns, elephants, acrobats.. what's not to like?!?

As part of our weekend in the Dells, Stacy and I made this one of our Main Adventures. The Circle World Museum is about 20 minutes south of Wisconsin Dells. It is $20/adult to visit but it includes all the museum, other buildings, and all the shows. It was well worth the $20. The bonus was that I was able to cross 3 things off the original bucket list. I will highlight those throughout.




The Museum showed the history of the Circus and the winter quarters of the circus in Baraboo during the circus heyday in the late 1800s and early 1900s. I loved to see how the Circus was advertised on covered wagons headed into town ahead of the circus train. It was very interesting to see what work went into bringing a circus to town and how many people and horses it took to bring the circus to town.




# 896 See the Great Circus Train
The easiest way to transport all the equipment, animals, and people from one city to another was a train. Every year growing up, Milwaukee held the Great Circus Parade -- which was another way to announce the Circus was coming to town. Since the wagons and everything was in Baraboo, the Great Circus Train would travel from Baraboo to Milwaukee. The train would pass through a few towns near me growing up but I never actually got to to see it. Now that parade isn't held anymore, the circus train doesn't come to town either.



Instead of seeing the Circus Train rolling through town, I settled for seeing the old rail cars scattered throughout Circus World. It was still very cool. Maybe one day it will roll through town again and I get to see it.







#376 See a Circus
The highlight of my day was seeing the circus. I never went to a circus... or at least one I remember going to. The circus was under the big top -- just like the old days.



It wasn't a very big circus but it was certainly entertaining. In the hour long Circus, I saw some of the common circus acts...

Horses....



Clowns...




Acrobats...




Dogs...




Jugglers...




Uni-cyclist...




Yes there were elephants which are my favorite but I had a user error when taking the pictures of the elephants and I don't have any. This makes me sad.

I loved the circus and want to go see another one.

#263 Ride a Unicycle

Ok.. we cheated on this one. In the kid's playground was a stationary unicycle. You could pedal it but it wasn't going anywhere. Well... good thing it was stationary.... because I couldn't even balance on the one that didn't move. It was fun. I think I just need to work on my balance. Maybe one day I will try an actual unicycle... wrapped in bubble wrap.



After I knocked off all those fun things off my bucket list, we caught another show -- The Steve and Ryan Nothing But Nonsense Show. It was hilarious. Steve and Ryan were the clowns in the circus. It was kind like Three Stooges. If you go, check it out.





Circus World Museum lived up to it's expectations and then some. It is a great family destination and it is a break from the water parks of the Dells.

No comments:

Post a Comment