Friday, August 18, 2017

1751.Go to Babe Ruth Museum in Baltimore

Babe Ruth, the Yankee Great not the baseball organization, was born in Baltimore and played his first games of professional baseball there -- for a small, minor league outfit called the Baltimore Orioles before being sold to the Red Sox to help pay the bills. Being the baseball fan I am anything dealing with the legends of baseball interested me so naturally this was a perfect item for the bucket list.

Since we planned on seeing the Orioles at Camden Yards, I was hoping we would be able to hit this little museum up. After getting off the train at Camden Yards, we had P L E N T Y of time to kill before the gates even opened so we followed the baseballs painted on the sidewalk to the museum which was great because I knew the museum was somewhere near the stadium... I just didn't know where. Since we never really officially planned on going here, I didn't do much looking into it besides glancing at prices ($10/adult).




When I say the museum is small, it's no more than a couple of rooms in two story brownstone -- his grandparents house. This is where Babe Ruth was born and spent a lot of his time before being sent to boarding school because he was a pretty much a delinquent -- finishing other people's cigarettes and beer at his dad's bar.





I don't care if you aren't really a baseball fan, this is still a piece of history. Yes it does have baseball artifacts but it also tells the story of Babe's life and there are rare family photos.





This best time to go I think would be when the Orioles are not in town or earlier in the day when they are so there are less people. It is not a big space like I said... just really two floors with a hallway each and 2 rooms on each floor. There is not a lot of maneuverability since the house was built in the 1800s.  

The hubby really liked the extra stop and it was easy to get to. Just follow the baseballs. Then grab a bite to eat at Pickles Pub (and let me know how it is).

No comments:

Post a Comment